Monday, September 22, 2014

Oxtoberfest: Miami Takes Munich

9/22/14

Hey all,

So this weekend, I got to experience the world's largest funfair. Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany was too big of an event to not attend during my time in Europe. Probably 65 of the 100 Miami University students in Luxembourg made the trip out to Munich to try the beer and pretzels. This, along with other students from Miami studying abroad in places like Barcelona and Florence, contributed to a strong Miami presence in Munich. That being said, the German chants and pride was overwhelming, bringing out the inner-Bavarian from everyone in the area, even those who, like me, aren't German whatsoever. But that didn't stop me from buying a lederhosen to encapsulate my pride for a country I have no connection to. But I wasn't alone. Seven of my close friends and I all booked our weekend accommodations together, so we all went through the same weird and unique experience. We stayed overnight Friday and Saturday in sketchy-and-probably-unhealthy sleeping bags, on blowup mattresses, in small tents, in the pouring rain, at a campground full of really weird people, in the middle of a forest, in a foreign country. There were some WEIRD things that happened this weekend, spanning from random people running around naked to people drinking from old rain boots. Oktoberfest weekend was probably one of the weirdest things I've ever experienced, but it really did provide tons of memories. I can't say I'd do it again (or ever be able to), but I'm happy went once, and I'm even happier that I had my friends there with me. Adios, Germany.




No comments:

Post a Comment